Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Hodgepodging Hibernation


Sunset walk on Sunday, Nov. 12
Our farm

All photos are mine unless credited to someone else.

Join Joyce and the Gang
for

 She writes the questions;
we write the answers.
Plug them into your own blog post
and join in!

1. What takes you out of your comfort zone?

Well, outside my comfort zone are definitely driving on winter snow and ice. We're coming up on four or five months of snow and ice. I'm already dreading it.

2. Your least favorite spice?

I can't think of a spice I don't like. I look at my spice rack and like all of them. My favorite is probably hot yellow curry powder from www.thespicehouse.com.

 And funny, but that hot yellow curry powder
is in the pantry with my other spices
that don't fit in the spice rack.

Can you guess what the spice is, about middle of the bottom row? 

What're your favorite herbs and spices?

3. What's a small change you'd like to make?

About seventy-five cents. Okay, actually, I can't think of any small change I need to make, but can think of several HUGE changes I need to make and will most likely be making in the next year or two.
 photo via sprint movers
Really? Only ONE BOX per category???

4. Do you enjoy visiting historic homes? If so, of the homes you've visited which one was your favorite? What historic home near you is open to visitors? Have you been? Southern Living rounded up eleven of the best in the southern part of the US and they're as follows-

Monticello (Jefferson's home in Virginia), Nathaniel Russel House (Charleston SC), Swan House (Atlanta), Ernest Hemingway's home (Key West), The Biltmore (Vanderbilt home in Asheville NC), Mount Vernon (Washington's home in Virgina), San Francisco Plantation (Garyville, Louisiana), Windsor Ruins (Port Gibson Mississippi), Longue Vue House and Gardens (New Orleans), Whitehall (Palm Beach FL), and Pebble Hill Plantation (Thomasville GA)

Have you been to any on the list? Of the homes listed which would you most like to visit?

Do cathedrals count? They are historic homes of worshippers, aren't they. And I love visiting them all (and have visited many). And I've visited a handful of castles in England. They most definitely were homes as well as fortresses. As for the more common sense of the term, I enjoyed visiting The Biltmore and wouldn't mind visiting Longue Vue House and Gardens and San Francisco Plantation. Those sound interesting, and I'd like to visit Louisiana in general.

 Ely Cathedral
A favorite.
I guess they're all favorites.

 James J. Hill House,
St. Paul, MN
photo via Wikipedia

 Glensheen Mansion,
Duluth, MN
photo via gleensheen.org

 Skipton Castle
North Yorkshire

  Castle Howard
North Yorkshire




Castle Bolton
North Yorkshire

5. What's something you think will be obsolete in ten years? Does that make you sad or glad?

I suspect that check-out people at a store will be less and less common, that credit cards will be a thing of the past, and maybe DVDs. None of this makes me sad or glad. And maybe the USPS will be obsolete. That would be kinda sad because Mr. C. and the postman have frequent, albeit brief, political conversations that we would miss. :-)

6.  Insert your own random thought here. 

 Neighbor Bill's Barn
Sunday, November 12

Random #1: I love that old barn just across the road.

Random #2: I can't believe that November is half over! I can't believe that gun deer hunting begins next weekend and my poor little eight or so deer will be having to run and hide.

P.S. About yesterday's post: Mr. C. and I watched the David Suchet version of 'Murder on the Orient Express' again. It's on YouTube and on Acorn. Anyway, although the photography and scenery and music were better in the newer movie, we thought, I will always prefer the Suchet performance as Poirot.  He portrayed a very real, deep, and intense moral struggle that was not as evident in the Branagh Poirot.


 ***

 Buy Any Five or More, Get TWO Free

That's nearly a 30% savings!
 
SALE ENDS SATURDAY,
November 18.
U.S. Addresses only. :-(

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!


Figgy Pudding

Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap
make excellent stocking stuffers
and hostess gifts.

Each bar is labeled and wrapped,
ready for gifting.


...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch

and at

Our ETSY Shop

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning


Judy

25 comments:

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I agree with you Judy on the snow and ice. I detest it. Lovely pics as always. Hope that you have a great week.

Arlene G said...

Thanks for more info on Murder on the Orient Express.....David Suchet is Poirot to me the way Clark Gable is Rhett Butler. You and Katie need to come down south to visit me and get away from all that snow.

MadSnapper said...

bob and I were talking yesterday about half way through Nov. how can it be? next Thursday is TG and we just had New Years, or so it seems.
I love that red barn. I agree with your obsolete list. I am giggling over the packing boxes. dishes? really? one bowl? 8 glasses? a small change I SHOULD make is spending less time on my Tablet and computer. will not happen, but it should.
Comfort zone is easy... since my accident 15 years ago, traffic makes me crazy, interstates make me really crazy... so traffic is my comfort zone.
I love old homes and have been in all of the ones in Savannah and all the ones here where I live.. have not been in any of the list though. as for my least favorite spice, oregano and bay leaf tie for first place and I can taste either one in anything and will not eat it. I have never owned a spice rack and neither did my mother. the only spices either of us had would be cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. she used onions and green peppers for spices and that was about it.

Joyce said...

I can't believe December is just around the corner. I haven't seen the new film but hope to do that maybe this weekend. I am also partial to David Suchet as Poirot, but will go with an open mind. Plus I love the idea of a train trip. Hold the murder though : )

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I will hibernate rather than drive on the snow and ice. I love your sunset walk photo and the castles a,d red barn are wonderful. McCormick Spice company is here in Maryland, just driving past you can smell the various spices. Have a happy day!

Stephanie said...

Oh, that first picture took my breath away. What a view, my friend!

What a lovely little spice rack and as for the one turned around...is it cinnamon?

Your post was truly a delight to read, Judy. Thank you! Happy day to you. Hugs!

Mrs.T said...

I'm with you on the driving in snow and on ice .... far, far out of my comfort zone, and I have done more of it than I would like. Hibernation sounds good. Not sure I will have that luxury this winter, but hopefully next.

That turned-around spice bottle ... well, obviously it begins with P. Maybe another type of paprika, like sweet paprika or Hungarian paprika?

Yes, the sunset photo ... loved it. And the red barn! Gorgeous! Castles, grand houses and cathedrals are all beautiful, but give me a barn any day.

Debby Ray said...

Wow Judy, you are spicy girl! Seriously, there are many spices I've never tried. Your photos are just stunning...from the cornfields to the Yorkshire castles...just absolutely stunning. It did surprise me though that driving in snow would put you out of your comfort zone being that you are from Wisconsin. :D

ellen b. said...

Good morning Judy. I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge and seeing your photos. I so love cathedrals and other old buildings in England. Winter driving is not my cup of tea. Your spices are so neat and in alphabetical order so I'm guessing that spice starts with a P or an R unless you are really tricking us. Poultry seasoning?

https://happywonderer.com/2017/11/15/historical-hodgepodge/

Empty Nester said...

It's cold here! I'm sure it wouldn't feel cold to you but we're pretty darn shivery. LOL The thing here is that it gets so cold in my house. Outside it is still flip-flop weather to me but I see others out there in hats, jackets, and scarves so...I generally prefer to read murder mysteries like Agatha Christie's. The ones I watch instead are those too intense to read. LOL Have a great day!

SImple and Serene Living said...

I love that barn, and yes I hate ice and snow too. I'm hoping that this winter will be like our last two. We didn't get any measurable snow those years. xo Laura

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I agree that cathedrals are historic beyond words! Standing in awe at the majesty of theses houses of worship, I never fail to be filled with emotion. Your photos are so beautiful, Judy. Have a nice evening. ♥

Linda said...

What a fun post! I love your neighbor's barn too!!!

Terri D said...

I love that barn too, and enjoyed reading your HP answers!!

Chatty Crone said...

Let me see if I can remember. I don't like ice. Your photos again are the prettiest I see on the internet - no kidding, I keep saying it but I don't know how not to say it! lol And I like the barn across the street and the gorgeous photos of England. I would love to eat in the area with the ferns. Wouldn't that be amazing???

Deborah Montgomery said...

I agree, your photos are the best!! I stay in as much as possible in the winter. I hate driving on the ice and snow too. The cathedrals are lovely. I've visited a few in England, but wouldn't mind a second look. xo Deborah

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I agree about the winter driving. No fun at all!! Add having two new drivers in the family, add BOY to that and it will give this mom grey hair!

Love your photos Judy!!

Please hop over to visit my blog Thursday and meet the new family member. A question, who is your vet? This will be our first female cat, so we will need to know a thing or two about the next step for Penelope. Thank You, Judy!!
Molly is doing better, we switched her food, she is doing better with the new food. Back to enjoying her walks and eating right.
She is 12,so we enjoy each walk we can. :-) I will really miss my walking buddy.

Mama Squirrel said...

Visiting from the Hodgepodge! That is a great view of the barn...no guesses on the spice, though.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Judy, I have to agree with others about your photos - just gorgeous! And I love that old red barn; wish all the old barns could be restored and used in a way that would keep them alive.

Lady Fi said...

Gorgeous scenery.

practice bolg said...

Every time I see your beautiful photos its like a breath of fresh air! So gorgeous! What takes me out of my comfort zone is driving during rush hour and sitting in traffic. The spice I am not a fan of would have to be nutmeg. If a recipe calls for it I only use half of the recommended amount. But I LOVE cinnamon!! Hope all is well!
Mama Hen

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Nice pics... I will have to check out your soaps! Nice to meet you! Leticia

Vee said...

I have an appointment with the dentist Monday where I’ll be explaining my policy of not showing up in bad weather. They’ll probably love that.

It’s been hunting season here for several weeks. There’s already been a heartbreaking tragedy. That said, I do believe that the deer herd needs to be culled. They are causing accidents left and right and I have never seen so many in my yard eating my plants. I like them in the forest not downtown.

Yes, of course those cathedrals and castles count. The homes you showed in your corner are quite majestic. I don’t think we have any of that sort around here.

You have a lovely variety of spices and your favorite is most exotic. I’m such a cinnamon girl. 🤓

Cheryl said...

We all went to see Murder on the Orient Express last weekend and we loved it! That said, David Suchet is Poirot!

Your answer to #3 makes me curious. Are you planning a move, or a great cleaning out! Hmmm . . .

Where I live, driving in snow and/or ice is seldom, but boy do I hate it! I mostly choose to stay home on those days. If I lived where you live, I'm not sure what I'd do.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Praying for your safety this Winter. Mark plans on retiring next year. I have to start getting rid of things because we will definitely be moving! Love the photos you shared.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails