Thursday, October 1, 2015

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup Recipe


Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Carla from The River Flowing blog requested that I re-post this soup recipe, and I noticed that it was posted in late September of 2012, just over three years ago. It's that time of year - frosty nights and cool days!

***

One must be armed with a few good soup recipes for these chilly autumn evenings. This Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is one of the best. We love it, ever since I first made it a few years ago. We'd enjoyed something similar to this at Michaelhouse in Cambridge, England. Of course, my kitchen doesn't offer quite the same ambience as Michaelhouse, but it's not bad - and getting to my kitchen is much less expensive and much more convenient.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - Recipe:
Delicious and Gluten Free

1 (very) large butternut squash, halved and seeded

4 T. butter
1 large onion, chopt
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 T. minced fresh ginger root
1-2 t. hot curry powder from Penzey's
2-3 McIntosh apples, cored and finely chopt
   (I used a couple cups of my own McIntosh canned applesauce)
1/3 c. port
1 quart Pacific (gluten-free, organic, free-range) chicken broth
(You can add another cup of chicken broth or even a cup of beef broth, as long as the majority of it is chicken broth.)
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne (to taste)

Spray cut sides of squash with cooking oil and place cut side down on large baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees until flesh is soft, about 1 1/4 hours. Let cool, then scoop flesh out into large bowl.

In large stockpot, melt butter and saute onion until tender. Turn burner to low setting.  Stir in garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook a minute longer. Add apples and port. Simmer for 10 minutes or until apples are soft.

Pour broth into stockpot mixture. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne.

Now here's the best part:  In times past, I would take a couple cups of this mixture at a time and puree them in my blender, then add them back to the stockpot. What a nuisance! Then, I bought a new stick blender (which some of you call an immersion blender) and instead of that long process with my blender, I puree everything right in the stockpot with my stick blender. SO EASY!!

As you heat this, make sure it's on a very low setting.

Serve with fresh-from-the-oven hearty brown bread or use my good gluten-free bread recipe and soft butter. No kidding, you will thank me! ;-)



***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE


'Mandarin Spice'

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at


25 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Judy,
I don't think I have ever had butternut squash soup before. My mom used to make roast butternut squash.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe to make this soup.
Julie at Julie's Lifestyle

Terri D said...

We love soups and it is getting to be soup-time here in Florida, too! Thanks for this yummy sounding recipe!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

I have to make this. Thank you so much for the recipe. My spouse loves curry, and I love butternut.
I make a tomato soup with apples and its delicious.

xoxo Su

NanaDiana said...

Oh, Judy! I can EAT THIS! We are on the Whole 30 program for health and this soup sounds wonderful. I am going to try it this weekend! Thanks so much!!!! xo Diana

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

This recipe sounds delicious- especially with the fresh ginger! Any soup that reminds you of England is good enough for me, Judy! ♥

CD Loken said...

YUMMY! I've never made squash soup before-but butternut is my favorite squash, so I can't wait to try your recipe!!

Tired Teacher said...

It sounds fabulous. I was surprised to see it contains apples.

I need to purchase an immersion blender, but I keep forgetting.

Denise said...

the soup sounds delicious

Debby Ray said...

Your soup looks really yummy! Although I have never made squash soup, I love squash so I assume I would like the soup too! Looks like great comfort food to me!

21 Wits said...

This is one of my favorite soups, to make and order out! I've never been disappointed ever!

Michelle said...

This sounds wonderful to me. I grow my own butternut squash and store it for the winter.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I've been looking for a good squash soup recipe Judy and this sounds Aahh-mazing!
Thanks for sharing. ;)
xo

Celestina Marie said...

This looks so delicious and I love butternut squash. Perfect fall soup. Thank your for sharing the recipe.
Have a great weekend. cm

Cheryl said...

This soup makes me swoon! I tried to make a copycat of Panera Bread's last year. It was good, but not as good as theirs. I think I'll give yours a try some time soon. Love soup and soup weather!

Carla from The River said...

Hi Judy,
Thank you so much for posting.
I have a butternut squash I have been saving to make your recipe. :-))
Carla

Stephanie said...

I have made this soup before and it is delicious! We bought some butternut squash the other day from the farm.

Lorrie said...

I love butternut squash soup. It's a fall/winter favorite around here. Perhaps I'll make some this weekend.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Thanks for the lovely recipe.

Unknown said...

Oh I love butternut squash soup. Its getting to that time of the year.
I do love your bowl and plate in the picture.
It's been a while since I have visited, hope that you're all doing good.
Happy Friday!

Eva

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Judy... I just sent your link to the Mister with a note saying we should go to the store and make this yummy soup. It is cold, wet, and raw and the perfect weekend for soup. Enjoy your weekend!

podso said...

This recipe looks good. I've had at this at a local eatery a couple of times recently. Yum. So I don't even have to look for a recipe; you brought it to me! I too recently was gifted with the immersion blender and love how much easier it makes making such a soup.

Empty Nester said...

I started to pick up a butternut squash yesterday at the grocery store but didn't. Now I have a very good reason to get one! I'll run out tomorrow morning IF the rains stop. :)

Judy S. said...

Bet it's just as yummy as it looks!

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I love squash, thanks for the recipe!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds yummy, thank you for the recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails