Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Asparagus and Garlic Scapes with Cashews - GF Recipe

Asparagus & Garlic Scapes with Cashews
Gluten-Free Recipe

We actually remembered to plant our garlic last October, so now we have nice tall garlic scapes which I used in this recipe. I would normally have used walnuts instead of the cashews, but it seems that my walnuts have disappeared.

This recipe is about as easy (and delicious) as it gets. 

Asparagus & Garlic Scapes with Cashews - GF Recipe:

Several nice tight spears of fresh asparagus
Several garlic scapes
1/2 c. cashews
Sea salt

Slightly steam asparagus spears in a skillet with a wee bit of water - just for a very short time. You don't want these cooked through, just starting to get bright green.

Remove them from the skillet, pour the water out, and dry out the skillet with a paper towel.

Now, add butter and olive oil (some) to the skillet. Then saute the garlic scapes and the asparagus spears by rolling them back and forth in the skillet over medium heat until you can put a fork through the asparagus, but DON'T overcook asparagus. It is NASTY stuff if you do. And it is delicious if you saute it until it is just barely tender. I mean barely!

Sprinkle the cashews on top and roll them around a bit with the asparagus and scapes until the cashews are hot. The cashews do not taste good if you saute them with the asparagus and scapes. I tried that, but it changed the taste entirely.

Hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know if you decide to try it and whether or not you liked it!

A nice addition would have been a few sun-dried tomatoes (julienned) or a few thin slices of a red cayenne pepper or even a red bell or Carmen. It would be pretty in there, wouldn't it!


 Bridger, Fall of 2012
supervising the planting of the garlic

***




'Olive Blossom Castile'
100% Pure Olive Oil
Natural, Handcrafted, Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at



This post may be linked to one or more of the following: Mop it Up Monday  and Get in My Tummy and  Cure for the Common Monday and  Clever Chicks Blog Hop and  Barn Charm and  The Marketplace  and  Mix it up Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and    Making the World Cuter Mondays and Make the Scene Monday and  Something I Whipped Up Monday and  Motivate Me Monday and  Making Monday Marvelous and Get Your Craft On and   You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Creative Showcase and Memories by the Mile and  Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday and  Take a Look Tuesday and  Tasty Tuesday  and Love Bakes Good Cakes and Mom on TimeOut  and Adorned from Above and Wildcrafting Wednesday and   Cast Party Wednesday and  We Did it Wednesday  and All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday  and The Girl Creative, Thursday and  Creative Things Thursday and Be Inspired and Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Friday Fences and  Thursday's Inspiration and  The Self-sufficient Home Acre and  I'm Lovin' it Thursday and Creative Things Thursday and   Mandatory Mooch   and Foodie Friends Friday and Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Get Schooled Saturday  and Inspiration Friday(ThursNite) and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and Share Your Creativity and   A Favorite Thing Saturday and Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday and  Market Yourself Monday and  Saturday Nite Special

16 comments:

Susie said...

I like asparagus, but I never fix it for us. Don't know why. You soap sounds as if it would be nice for the skin. xoxo,Susie

Trace4J said...

I think it would even be wonderful for breakfast.
Yum.
Woolie hugs

Paulette said...

Made my mouth water, on the menu for tonight.

Unknown said...

I still haven't become a big fan of asparagus, but I do love this idea... a nice little twist on just plane old asparagus!

Eileen H said...

I really like cashew nuts, would have been my first choice.
Aww and nice that you added a photo of Bridger, such a nice memory of him.

MadSnapper said...

I know you miss Bridger so much, he is so beautiful. cashews are my favorite of all nuts, i do love walnuts to.. this looks really good to me.

Bossy Betty said...

I want to eat more asparagus and this recipe will help me do just that!

TexWisGirl said...

your pup is/was beautiful...

Unknown said...

Good recipe and good picture of a pretty dog. Thanks for sharing.

Cherry's Prairie Primitives said...

I love asparagus especially steamed!!

Anonymous said...

I love this photo of Bridger. He was a part of your everyday life and I know you miss his presence.
Thank you for the recipe. Asparagus is one of John's favs.

Terri D said...

That dish looks delicious! I love asparagus. Used to have a bed in my garden, when I lived in Maryland.

Bridger was beautiful. That's a wonderful photo, full of love and good memories!

Unknown said...

Hi Judy,

You've made me wanting asparagus now, haven't had that in a long while. That dish looks delicious.
Nice photo of Bridger

Chatty Crone said...

I love asparagus - and never would have thought to cook it that way. Yum. And Bridger - what an awesome dog! sandie

Yenta Mary said...

The garlic scapes have arrived here, too! I got an email from my friend who's a garlic farmer - her and her husband's idea of retirement! I think she said she has 14 varieties for today's farmers' market ... whatever she's got, I'm ready!

Denise said...

Sounds good.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails