Friday, June 8, 2012

Anglophile Friday - Favorite Photos of England - Malton & Norton

Ice Cream Truck with Eager Customers
Malton



View Larger Map
About 18 miles NE of York lies the town of Malton 

For any Downton Abbey fans out there, I know that the fictional Downton Abbey is supposed to have been located somewhere in the general vicinity, for Ripon, Malton, Easingwold, and Thirsk are all mentioned in the series.


When Kevin and I returned to the Malton/Norton area three years later, this fish and chicken bar was no longer in operation. At least, we couldn't find it.

Malton and Norton-on-Derwent are market towns on either side of the River Derwent in the North Yorkshire Moors.

It's kind of confusing, I mean, is it one town or two?? for the North Yorkshire Towns website states, 

'There’s a superb blend of the traditional and modern in Malton Norton, located either side of the River Derwent, just a short distance from the A64 between York and Scarborough. The town has the distinction of a bustling high street and also a market square. It enjoys main road connections, a bus and train station, coach parking, a rich Roman heritage, distinctive 18th century buildings, a cinema, soft play area and swimming pool, general and farmers markets on Saturdays and auction marts on weekdays.'

See what I mean? They make it sound like it's one town. The map (especially zoomed in) makes it look like it's definitely two separate market towns. There's a lot about England I'll never understand.

A couple other tidbits of information I found online about Malton/Norton:
  • It is 'well-known throughout the horse racing industry for the town's many stables.'
  • Charles Dickens wrote 'A Christmas Carol' while staying in Malton. 



I had previously thought that these doors were from photos I'd taken in Richmond, but when I looked at the sequence of numbers on the photos, I saw that they must have been taken in the Malton/Norton area.


Yorkshire is full of brightly-painted doors against brick or stone building exteriors.


Two of the locals, out for a stroll


In my opinion, the Yorkshire Moors don't compare with the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales. Then again, I wouldn't go as far as Mary in 'The Secret Garden,' who said, 'The Moors are ugly!'  I'd be happy to reside in any part of North Yorkshire!

***


Be sure to stop in at
for my Father's Day Special
on through June 16!


All-natural Honey Oatmeal
...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps.

Photobucket

23 comments:

Eileen H said...

I really love the city of York and I've told husband I want to go there again this year. I also think the Yorkshire Moors are beautiful!
I'm intrigued by your fascination with front doors. Please tell what yours are like. My front door is a white one, similar to your second photo and has two glass panels etched with roses.
I have a friend who lives in Yorkshire and I have to say that I have found Yorkshire folk to be really friendly.

Unknown said...

I love the pictures, and especially the one with the blue door. That's my fav color :) Hope you're having a fantastic Friday! Weather is a bit miserable here today, but suppose to get better tomorrow, so I'm hoping for that.
Big hugs
Eva

Yenta Mary said...

I love your Friday posts! So much charm, so much quaintness, so much history ... sigh ... :)

MadSnapper said...

love those doors... and the locals

Parsley said...

LOVE the pics. Something about England....

Unknown said...

The pictures are great, Judy! I love the blue door! I told Chris that is the color I want or front door now :)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

LOVE your door photos. I, too, have a thing for doors. My own front door is white and flat (no panels) with a white wooden screen door in front of it. Painted the main door sunny yellow once, but the color looked horrible through the screen, so I painted it white again. Looks good.

Debra Hawkins said...

I love the door! What a fabulous ice cream truck!

Lois Christensen said...

Beautiful photos! I love that show and can't wait for the next season! Hope you're having a nice weekend!

Denise said...

Such nice pictures.

Ruth Kelly said...

I bet we drove through Malton on our way to Scarborough from York. Love your photos.

Ruth Kelly said...

I bet we drove through Malton on our way to Scarborough from York. Love your photos.

Chatty Crone said...

So that was an ice cream truck? I like the different colors of doors too - love the blue one. In Boston I think they color the door bright red.
Such a pretty place that is. sandie

RebeccaT said...

I think I just might enjoy driving such an adorable ice cream truck! The doors the pheasants...and even the name are so charming. Malton and Norton sound like a vintage tv show or names of two cats with a great many adventures.

Amy Burzese said...

As usual, great shots and information. Keep 'em coming. BTW, I'm using your Sweet Baby Calendula at my bath sink for my face and love it. I have the Morning Brew at the kitchen sink and love it too. If I didn't know better, it did a much better job of taking the grease off my hands after making meatballs than Dawn dish soap does. Thanks for having your soaps!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

WOW!! What fun shots. I didn't know that about Charles Dickens and the Christmas Carol ... that's neat to know. Great photos!!

George The Lad said...

We will let you know what we think of the moors when we go next month:)lovely photo of the pheasants
Also we will be doing a post about Wenlock Abbey and the other abbey, its late at night and I can't think how to spell it you know the one I mean:)as I did see your post about them.

It would make a good blog post to get folks to send in photos of their front doors :)just saying
Have a good week
See Yea George xxx

Robin said...

It might be like the city of Budapest...which is actually two cities Buda and Pest divided by a river. Love you pictures.

Robin said...

It might be like the city of Budapest...which is actually two cities Buda and Pest divided by a river. Love you pictures.

Cranberry Morning said...

Just wanted you to know that a gentleman who grew up in Norton was kind enough to email me with the following information which I wanted to share with you: 'I will try and explain [about Norton-Malton], to look from the air they look like a small country market town with a river going through the middle (Derwent) they are seperate towns, with their own mayor and council officials.It goes back when Norton was granted a Seperation Order from the Local Government, this seperation order came into force on the 24th June 1889, which meant Norton council looked after water utilities, housing, and charged rents.'

Cranberry Morning said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cranberry Morning said...

And one more tidbit of information that gentleman wrote, which is something which has always intrigued me, was about the names North Riding, West Riding, etc. What on earth did that mean? Of course, I thought it had something to do with horses. Wrong!

Here's the answer, in case any of you are just as fascinated by word origins as I am. He wrote,'In olden days counties were sometimes divided into thirds for administration purposes - these were officially known as 'thirdings', and this was corrupted by usage in every day speech to "riding".
Yorkshire is divided into the East Riding, West Riding and North Riding.'

P.S. Yes, I realize that I could have looked it up, but I never seemed to be near a source of information when the subject would pop into my head. So now we know 'the rest of the story!'

J_on_tour said...

I suppose it could be argued that The North York Moors have their own unique beauty and those pheasants look wonderful as I find them so difficult to photograph.
I'm pleased you had your question answered as I didn't know the answer. I have only had time to pass through Malton twice on a scenic return from a car trip to York. Given a bit more time, Eden Camp looks worth a visit as observed from the high roadside vantage point.
Following the success of Art and culture in the lesser known location, it is interesting that there has been a move in more recent times to merge a name into NewcastleGateshead purely for tourism issues.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails