Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Beef Pepper Steak with Cashews Recipe

 

Okay, I know what you're thinking: That woman makes the same meals over and over. Well, just think of it as a Chinese restaurant. Know how everything on the menu has a lot of the same ingredients? It's like that. I use my old standby ingredients, but change it up just enough to make it a little different. If it works for a Chinese restaurant, I don't know why it can't work for me. Besides, those ingredients are what I have in the refrigerator most of the time.

I'll post the photos first, with the recipe following, so the instructions will be in one chunk of text.

Browned sirloin and garlic



Sliced vegetables saute-ing


Sauce stirred in and cashews sprinkled on top


Ready to eat

Beef Pepper Steak with Cashews - Recipe

Ingredients:

Beef Sirloin, 1 1/2 - 2 pounds
Freshly minced garlic, 1 or 2 cloves
Paprika, a few T.
2 T. Extra-virgin olive oil
3 stalks of celery
2 Carrots
Peppers (Green or red or both)
Jalapeno pepper, minced
2 parsnips 
Cayenne and Sea Salt to taste

Sauce:
1/2 c. beef broth (Kitchen Basics)
1 t. honey
1/4 c. burgandy
1 T. corn starch

A few hours before you're going to make this dinner, slice up the sirloin and garlic, sprinkle generously with paprika, then cover it with plastic and place in the refrigerator. It's helpful to get the veggies all cut up now too and store in a baggie in the refrig until you need them. That way the mess can be cleaned up and makes it that much easier at suppertime (or dinnertime, whichever meal you eat at 6 PM)
20 minutes before serving, saute sirloin and garlic in olive oil. Remove from skillet.
In skillet, saute veggies, beginning with the parsnips and carrots, then adding celery and peppers, then onion. (The onion cooks up faster than the others)

Remove from heat and make the sauce:

In a small bowl, mix the sauce ingredients. Stir well and pour over veggies. Add beef back into skillet. Heat on low and stir until sauce is clear and bubbly.

Add cashews.
Stir to heat thoroughly and serve immediately. No one likes soggy cashews.  
(If you'd like to make enough to ensure that you have leftovers, I'd not put the cashews in, but serve them separately in a bowl at the table.)
I like mine with a little added cayenne and sea salt.


P.S. My husband wasn't fond of the parsnips being in this dish, but I really liked the addition.

P.S. You don't need rice or anything else with this dish. But as I've said before, it wouldn't hurt to have a little piece of Ritter Sport dark chocolate with hazelnut for dessert, although I'm trying to avoid chocolate and sugar this week. :-(

Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such


This post is linked to: Making the World Cuter Mondays
and Something I Whipped Up Monday
and Motivate Me Monday
and Making Monday Marvelous
and Made from Scratch Tuesday
and Tasty Tuesday
and Tempt My Tummy Tueadays
and Wandering Wednesday
and What's Cookin' Wednesday
and We Did it Wednesday
and Thrilling Thursday
and Favorite Things Friday
and I'm Lovin' it Friday
and It's a Hodgepodge Friday
and Fat Camp Friday
and Fun With Food Friday

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I use the same ingredients a lot. I think, as home cooks go, most of us do. The great thing is how many different combinations of those ingredients you can come up with. I'm a huge sucker for these kinds of dishes.....I wished you lived next door, than I'd have a Chinese restaurant I could walk to!! :)

Empty Nester said...

That looks TASTY! Except for the cashews--I'm allergic to them.

Heide at ApronHistory said...

Oh Yum! I love Chinese food. We usually don't make it though. All your posts make it look so easy and yummy! Have to start making more of it.

Judy S. said...

Wish you lived closer and I could give you my wok! This sounds yummy, but what, no olives? LOL

Unknown said...

i would help you eat some of that if you just lived closer! Are you getting snow today???? We are not, but I can see the line on the radar. Too crazy!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Oh my! This stir fry looks incredibly delicious!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Candace said...

You make my favorite kind of meal, Judy. Love this! I've got to try the parsnips in my stir fry sometime. We have an abundance of those around here. :)

Under Her Wings said...

I really need to fix this for dinner tonight. Our "adopted" Taiwanese boys are bringing egg rolls and fried rice that their dad has prepared. But I'm too busy trying to find a pattern to make tea cozies.:)Now that's a laugh!

Yenta Mary said...

I've been sitting here trying to figure out what to have for dinner, and this looks perfect! Unfortunately, I can't have meat in the vegetarian kitchen here ... :(

Carla from The River said...

Looks good. I am going to give it a try next week! Thank You for sharing.

Becky said...

Judy I am SO glad you posted this, your pepper steak recipe os one of my favorites. And now, I have the peace and assurance if I ever lose that paper withthe recipe on it, it is on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Oh my..I am grabbing your recipe.This is a super hit in my family back home.Thanks a lot for sharing.Sometimes there are dishes that will make you excited and thrilled ... and this is one of those.

TJ @ MeasuringFlower.com said...

New follower from the blog hop. :-) Have a great day! www.MeasuringFlower.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails