Saturday, February 26, 2011

Ice Fishing in Wisconsin

 
I  know. It's just crazy, isn't it, that anyone would drive their vehicle out onto a lake. But it's what a lot of Wisconsinites do when the water gets too hard to fish otherwise. Our son, his fiance, and a few friends occasionally plan a day so that they can stay outdoors and freeze to death in the company of good friends. I think this particular day last weekend was about -10 degrees F.


At least they have appropriate clothing for this venture.

The all-important ice borer


In this case, they actually have an ice shack that they set up, where they will spend quality time waiting for the occasional fish to happen by.


The Cheater. This contraption tells where the fish are.


First catch. Not an auspicious beginning.



Willing the fish to take the bait.


It helps to be in good company. And despite the fact that he looks like he's been sniffing glue, I think Joe was just tired.

The final result. I have no idea what kind of fish these are, but presumably someone took them home for dinner.

Personally, I think I'd wait for warmer weather. There is absolutely nothing about sitting in an ice shack all day that appeals to me, even if the fish came out broiled and with a side of new potatoes.


Photobucket
Author, Second Chance - A Tale of Two Puppies
Check out my handcrafted soaps at Soap'n'Such

13 comments:

Under Her Wings said...

They can have it! We are going picniking with some Indian military men from the air base this afternoon. I might have to take a jacket. I think the high is going to be around 65. Brrr....I'm rubbing it in, aren't I?

jennyfreckles said...

Looks like the fish come ready frozen!

George The Lad said...

Oh jennyfreckles beat me to what I was going to say!
You wouldn't get me on there no way. My feet curl when I watch Ice road truckers!
We are back from the walk and the sun came out!
The walk took us though a wood which after the rain we had last night its was very muddy, so we stopped outside and had drinks, it was good to get the sun on my face.
I will be posting about it next Sunday, thanks for letting me link to your post, the road we walked on took us behind the church, so I only took a photo of the back, where your post has better photos and information.
That is one of the down falls of a dog blog,
I am always looking for the best shots of George and miss whats around me.
I must get out by myself more and take photos.
Jan

Michelle said...

Yea, I don't last long in the cold either. You have to really love fishing, huh?

Natalya said...

We're not crazy. ;) I don't go ice fishing as often as I would wish, but I LOVE it. Nothing beats bundling up with a thermos bottle of hot-coco, waiting for fish to bite, and talking (quietly of course so the fish won't hear you) with good friends. :) I, however do LOVE fishing, so... ha ha! Anyway, I'm not an expert on fish, but we use to live on a lake where we went fishing almost daily in the summer/spring/fall (sometimes winter) ;) and I think those are perch. Perch have thank kind of yellow-ish/green-ish tint to them, HUGE and SPIKY fins (that hurt like crazy when you forget your gloves to clean them!) :)

SomeGirl said...

Haha... Love your last line! I'm with you, btw. That looks and sounds miserably cold!

Yenta Mary said...

You know as well -- if not better! -- than I do that we here in the north either have to embrace winter or lose our minds!!!

Unknown said...

You people in Wisconsin are crazy!! LOL Chris' brother lives in Appleton and every year now he goes ice fishing with his father in law. He even entered a few competitions last year!! If you have to cut through ice to fish....WHY DO IT???

Candace said...

Great photos! David and I were talking about ice fishing this weekend while driving by a lake and seeing all the little huts out there. My stepson ice fishes but it seems a little scary and not much for this southern girl. It is interesting to me how they get the little huts out there and decide where to put them and then rescue them at the perfect moment before the ice gets too soft. No thanks. :)

I think I'm going to wait and learn to fly fish this summer.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I want to go ice fishing!!!! That looks like so much fun. Can we come visit???

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Tiffanee said...

That looks so cold, but what a cute couple. I am glad they caught a few fish. I think I need to try this at least once. Thanks for some great pictures.

partialemptynester said...

Looks like such fun! I am so going to send hubby on an ice fishing trip sometime! We came close last year while in Minnesota, but opted for a different day trip...there's always a next time! Thanks for sharing, it's renewed my desire to help him cross that off his bucket list :))

Rachel said...

You've seen me complain about temperatures in the 20s. I don't think I could handle that cold!! :)

In that first (wait, second) picture, do I see a Dallas Cowboys star on her cap? Or am I seeing things?? ;)

:)
Rach

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails