Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Danish Puff Recipe

This is not a gluten-free dessert. This is not sweet. The only sugar in it is the drizzle of powdered sugar frosting which is optional. But this is so delicious that it's a danger to have in my house - for me. It doesn't last long around here.

I usually eat gluten free. Unlike my daughter who is a stickler for remaining absolutely gluten-free, I tend to eat gluten free for 90% of the time, then crave wheat flour products, indulge, then regret it for a couple days, and so the cycle goes.

If ever I am tempted to break my gluten-free diet, I can tell you right now that THIS is one of the two things that would be worth it. The other is homemade bread fresh out of the oven with butter on the thick crust - oh yeah, especially in October or November.

Here's the recipe for Danish Puff. Again, this is NOT gluten free.

In a bowl, place 1 c. flour and 1/2 c. soft butter. Cut butter in like you would for a pie crust. Sprinkle in a couple tablespoons of cold water. Form into a ball with your hands, then cut the ball in half.

Spray a large jelly roll pan with Pam, then pat each dough ball into a long, wide strip. Each one will be about 3-4 inches wide and about 15" long, and they will lie parallel to each other on the pan.

Bring 1 c. water and 1/2 c. butter to a boil. Remove from heat. Quickly and thoroughly whisk in 1 c. flour, then whisk in 3 eggs, one at a time. Add 1/4 t. almond extract, 1/4 t. vanilla, 1/4 t. salt. This mix will resemble a very thick pudding.

Place spoonfuls of above mixture on the pastry strips in the jelly roll pan. Use a spoon to spread the mixture out so that the pastry is covered almost edge to edge with the pudding-like topping. You may want to dip the spoon into water now and then to keep it from sticking as you're trying to smooth out the topping.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 - 45 minutes. Check after 40 minutes. When crust is golden and makes a hollow sound when tapped, the Danish Puff is ready to take from the oven.

When it has cooled, place about 3/4 c. powdered sugar in a bowl. Stir in 2 T. soft butter and a little cream or milk, and a bit of almond extract or vanilla, maybe 1/4 t.

Beat by hand until frosting is a smooth consistency that can be drizzled over the Danish Puff. You're almost done. Now, sprinkle some sliced or chopped almonds over the top.

Slice on the diagonal and serve. Don't turn your back on this stuff or it will be gone when you go back for a second piece. Just a warning.

This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.
and Tasty Tuesday.

9 comments:

Melinda said...

This looks like something my family will really love! I'm sure there is no calories in it - right?! :)

Deborah said...

This is an awesome dessert. You gave me the recipe many moons ago and it is still Katie's favorite. (I think it's because there is NO calories in it.) :D

Queen of the House said...

Found your link from Tempt my Tummy Tuesday! This looks like "Swedish Kringler" that my mother makes! Mmmm!! I will need to try my hand at making this soon!

Cranberry Morning said...

I suspect that this recipe has many names, which means that it's so good that every country wants to claim it for its own! :-) And of course it has no calories. right.

Bethany Nash said...

If you ever feel the need to cheat with homemade bread, let me know. You can come over and we can eat our buttered homemade crusty bread with some lovely soup to go with it. :)

NancyCreative said...

This looks wonderful!

Brenda said...

I have not seen this recipe in a long time but I have had it and its very, very good!

Cranberry Morning said...

Bethany, I'm sure I'll take you up on the offer when it's a tad colder out and you're living close enough I can holler at you. :-) (don't worry. I won't.)

the country cook said...

Yeah, this would make eating gluten free really hard! Maybe this should be your next challenge - a gluten free version!!! Could it be done? - www.delightfulcountrycookin.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails