Sunday, January 29, 2017

Gluten-Free Apricot Kringler, T&S Literary Society




Do you ever get really hungry for something, but you just don't know what it is? Well, I saw the jar of apricot preserves in the pantry and knew just what I wanted. Kringler, but with an apricot filling.

I've made this Swedish Kringler recipe many times, but never with a fruit filling. Oh was this good! So I'm going to share the recipe. Although gluten-free flour doesn't act like regular flour, it works perfectly fine, as long as you don't have rigid expectations (for how the flour works. The expectations you might have for taste are met fully and deliciously!)

APRICOT SWEDISH KRINGLER RECIPE, Gluten Free:

Crust: Place 1 c. gluten-free flour (mine was Krusteaz, which is used cup for cup like regular flour) along with 1/2 c. butter (cut into slices) into the food processor. Pulse about 30 times, then pour that into a large bowl.  With a fork, stir in 3 T. cold water. Press into two long flat strips about 4" wide each, onto a jellyroll pan that has been sprayed with a non-stick vegetable spray. This part is a little tricky, but keep a bowl of cold water on hand so you can dip your fingers into it. Water will keep the dough from sticking to your fingers. If it ends up too wet when you're done, you can blot it with a paper towel. Each strip will be 11-12 inches long.

Note: This is NOT difficult, it's just that it takes me a long time to tell it!

Now:  Spread apricot preserves generously onto the crust, leaving a good half inch to the edge so it won't escape the strips and end up burned on the pan.


Third layer:  In a large sauce pan, bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Stir in 1/2 cup of butter until melted. Whisk in 1 c. flour. With regular flour, you would take it off the burner as soon as the flour starts to leave the side of the pan. This didn't happen with GF flour. SO, keep stirring as it gets hotter. It will become more the consistency of pudding. 

Stir constantly on low to medium heat until it becomes quite thick, thick enough to spread (not runny.). 

Then whisk in three eggs, one at a time, and 1 t. almond extract along with 1/2 t. vanilla extract.

The lighting was bad. Sorry.

Spoon this thickened mixture onto the two apricot-covered strips on the pan. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 49 minutes until the top is golden and when you tap it with your finger, it makes a hollow sound.

Cool on a rack, then slice, and pour yourself a cup of coffee to go with it. It's possible that tea will work as well, but coffee is my personal recommendation. :-)

You won't regret this.

But it would be a good idea NOT to eat the whole thing in one sitting.



Note: If it tastes too eggy, then it's been underbaked. If it's not incredibly moist and delicious, then it's been overbaked.

Recipe, quick recap:

Crust: 
          1/2 c. butter
          1 c. flour,
          3 T. cold water
          Mix and divide in half and pat into 2   11-12" strips on jellyroll pan.
2nd layer:
          Spread appx. 1/2 c. apricot preserves onto crust strips.
3rd layer:
          1 c. flour
          1/2 c butter
          3 eggs
          1 c. water
          1 t. almond extract
          1/2 t. vanilla extract

Bring butter and water to boil and stir in flour. Stir until it thickens. Beat eggs in one at a time. Whisk while cooking until mixture is very thick and spreadable. Whisk in flavors. Spread evenly over apricot layer and bake 350 degrees for 49 minutes until crust is golden and sounds hollow when tapped. 


Tommy & Smokey Literary Society
They're not sure how they feel about Graham Oakley's church mice books.


    



***

Check out my natural, handcrafted vegan soap!
Buy any 5 or more, Get 1 FREE

Lemon Verbena
Natural Handcrafted Vegan Soap


No harsh chemicals, no animal products



...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at
 
HomemadeSoapNSuch


and at


Our ETSY Shop

Join me on Instagram: @cranberrymorning

Judy

19 comments:

Vee said...

Oh my! That looks amazing. And just the sort of recipe I would try being Swedish and all. Those kittens are always in a ball somewhere...very loving twosome.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I'm forever feeling a little peckish...in fact, having visited 100 Acre Wood at the weekend, it must time for A Little Something, surely? It looks wonderful, CM; I will dust off my baking outfit immediately!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I know this would be delicious with a cup of coffee! And I love your snowy banner...beautiful! Enjoy your day sweet lady. Hugs, Diane

Arlene G said...

Just mail me one or two, Judy!! Then I will not be tempted to eat the whole batch!!

21 Wits said...

If only we could slip one through the computer! Yummy stuff!

Maggie said...

These Kringlers look very moreish it would be good to have some ready made for when those peckish moments occur! Thanks for sharing the recipe with the Mosaic Monday crowd this week.

Debbie said...

Oh my goodness...this sounds wonderful. Honestly I can almost smell it! lol However, I am with Arlene...just mail me a couple as I KNOW I'd eat it all! Have a good week!

Terri D said...

I do love apricots! That looks delicious! Your kitties are adorable. That is my favorite photo today! :)

MadSnapper said...

yum, I love apricots anyway you fix them and this looks great to me. sweet but not killer sweet. as for the kitty twins, I like that they are always together. so sweet. glad you kept them both

podso said...

My this looks good, perfect for coffee or tea, as you say. I was intrigued at the exact time for the oven!

This N That said...

I never heard of a Kringler..looks yummy..Tommy and Smokey look happy..Do you still have all of the kittens?

Rose said...

That recipe sounds delicious, but oh, the kitty photo just melts my heart. I love seeing them.

L. D. said...

That looks so good. I have not seen them made with the fruit either.

living from glory to glory said...

Hi There, I have never heard of anything like this, but it made my mouth water! And GF is the way I have been eating. A little flour does not seem to cause me too much trouble. Thanks for sharing it with us girls, as I wanted to bake today but I really had to clean because a wood stove sure gets the living room dusty!
Love, Roxy

Lorrie said...

This sounds so delicious. I used to make a Danish Puff from the Betty Crocker cookbook that had the crust and the choux paste on top, without preserves in the center. I would drizzle icing over it. So yummy. But this version, with preserves, sounds amazing and I think I'll be digging out that old recipe. (I think it's the same quantities as yours, but we like full gluten around here).

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oh my gosh Judy -- this sounds so good. I don't bake much anymore (Bill is diabetic and I try to do what I can .. or not do, in this case).... but this has me rethinking .... there isn't too much sugar in it and one little slice..... (yeah, who am I kidding). But how lovely.

Debby Ray said...

I can almost taste it now...it looks scrumptious! I don't bake much either but I'm always willing to "share" what others bake :)

Amy at love made my home said...

Sounds and looks delicious!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds amazing!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails