Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Making Feta Cheese - Easy


Many of you have seen a previous post I wrote about making Feta cheese, but because I made Feta again last week, I thought I would publish this post for those of you who may not have seen my other one.

Making Feta Cheese is EASY. It is a bit time-consuming, because you have to stick around to cut the curd several times and wait a couple hours in between, but you can do other stuff during that time. However, it's not like putting a batch of clothes in the washing machine and leaving the house. You do have to be there to take care of your Feta cheese.

It's also nice to do this project, starting in the morning, on a very warm day. The milk has to be brought to 80 degrees F. and then kept warm, but you don't want to keep it on the stove. It works to set it outdoors (covered) on a warm day OR, if you're making it in the winter, to set it beside the fire (but not in or on it).

 Feta is one of those cheeses that is very cost effective to make. Mozzarella, on the other hand, is not. It costs just as much to make Mozzarella as it does to purchase it. So, unless you want to make it for the experience of making it, or for the fact that you know it's extremely fresh, it's hardly worth it, in my opinion.

Feta has some up-front costs, but those are a few simple tools and some ingredients that will keep in your freezer for a long, long time and allow you to make many batches of Feta. Then, the only other thing you need is a gallon of whole milk (not ultra-pasturized).

To skip the rest of this narrative and get right to the making of Feta cheese, click on this link from a past post, describing how to make Feta cheese. There's also a video there, 'How to Make Feta Cheese With Keila,' which is most helpful. Watch it a few times, get your supplies, and then Make Feta Cheese!

After gently scooping up the curd and placing it in the cheesecloth-lined colander
Letting it drip into a pan.



Cheese hanging overnight in cheesecloth,
letting excess whey drip into a pan below


THE most rewarding part
Cutting the cheese (so to speak)


I cut it into six fairly equal parts, press each into a small sherbet dish, place inside another container, cover it, and place in the freezer. When I need some Feta cheese, I take out one sherbet dish, place it in a ziploc baggie, set it on its side in the refrigerator, and a few hours later it has thawed and
the any excess whey has drained out into the baggie. Snip the corner off the baggie, pour out the whey, and use the dry, crumbly Feta cheese!  It's delicious!

Ingredient supplies were purchased at Leeners.com

You won't be sorry, and you'll never again pay those extortionist prices for Feta cheese.


***

Check out my handcrafted, vegan soaps
Buy Any Five or More, Get One FREE

'Peppermint Tea'
Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soap

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at


Although I usually forget to do it, there is a chance that this post will be linked to one or more of the following: Inspiration Monday and  Mosaic Monday and The Marketplace  and Market Yourself Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Treasure Box Tuesday  and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday  and What we Accomplished Wednesday and Whatever Goes Wednesday and  Adorned From Above  and Rurality Blog Hop and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday and Good Fences and  Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Weekend Reflections and  Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and The Charm of Home and  Share Your Creativity and A Favorite Thing Saturday and Weekly Top Shot and Shadow Shot Sunday and  Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday

18 comments:

Denise said...

Appreciate you sharing this.

Roan said...

You make it sound easy, but I bet I could mess it up. May have to try. Thanks for sharing.

MadSnapper said...

Easy does not fit in the title AT ALL.. not for me, but now i know how they make the feta i buy and pay a fortune for and also why it is so expensive. someone out there is doing all the hard work for me to buy the cheese.

Debby Ray said...

Oh wow...I love feta and would have never guessed it could be so simple to make. I'll have to think in this one but sure do appreciate you sharing how it's done!

Vee said...

Very interesting. I think it could be fun to do and I think I'll make my daughter have all the fun. She loves the stuff.

camp and cottage living said...

Who knew it was so easy!
My Hubby love Feta cheese so I'll try this when I get home.

Carla from The River said...

Sam loves Feta cheese. This will be fun to try.
Thank you!

Valerie said...

I will have to give this a try. Sounds fun! =)

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, feta is one of my favorite cheeses. yum!! what a cool recipe. i have never made cheese before. ( :

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

That Feta cheese looks delicious. I've never made any, but would love to try your recipe.
This sounds like a cool recipe.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

This looks like it might be do-able for me and not too difficult! Certainly worth it to always have a supply on hand. Thanks for the instructions and the supply link. xo Karen

Unknown said...

I love feta cheese! I've made goat cheese...you've inspired me to make feta! Thank you! xo Jen

Terri D said...

Well, though I appreciate your post and am very surprised at how easy it would be to make feta...I would never do this. It is just easier for me to pick up a little package at Publix. Sign. I'm a lazy slug, who doesn't even cook dinner anymore. I love feta on my salad, though. Yum.

Erin said...

This looks so good--i love feta! Thanks for sharing this!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It sounds...and LOOKS amazing! Can I just come to your house and eat yours? Let me know. Sweet hugs, your best friend, Diane hahaha!

Anonymous said...

That's not my favorite cheese but it look very easy to make. You are So talented..

Hugs

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is so cool. Your really an inspiration to me.

Patty Antle said...

I love feta cheese! Just had some on our trip. You make it look easy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails