Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Antique or Vintage Writing Desk


Antique Desk with Writing Drawer

I'm not sure when this old desk was made, but I love it. I don't even know where I got it, so it's either been a long time or my memory is simply getting bad fast. Unfortunately, I tend to be too impulsive when I see something I want to photograph. Case in point, the photos I took of the sunlight on my desk, below. It might have been a good idea to run and get the dust cloth before taking pics, but then again, one never knows how long that sunlight is going to be streaming in through the window!



You can see that not only is there a place for an inkwell below that hole on the right, but also a place to lay your quill pen while contemplating your next correspondence (UNlike my smartphone which is quick and easy, takes no thought, and turns names like 'Caedmon' into words like 'cardamom.') And the desk drawer top lifts up for convenient storage of stationery or other useful objects (like miniature roosters and sheep, a King Tut key fob, and a Robert E. Lee jackknife.)


 Glass Inkwell
The top edge is all rounded and smooth; the bottom section is octagonal.
It IS beautiful. You'll have to take my word for it.



My desk, during one of its tidier moments

You can see that the desk is open on both ends with shelves for books and whatnot. Mine are used for exactly that. I have lots of both.

For those of you who are into Before and After photos, that IS the After photo.


***


Check out my handcrafted, vegan soaps!

Chunky Lemon Drop
&
Chunky Wild Berry

Natural, Handcrafted Vegan Soaps

...and more! Check out all my handcrafted soaps at


Although I usually forget to do it, there is an outside chance that this post will be linked to one or more of the following: Inspiration Monday and  Mosaic Monday and The Marketplace  and Market Yourself Monday and Make it Pretty Monday and  Making the World Cuter Mondays and You're Gonna Love it Tuesday and Treasure Box Tuesday  and  Knick of Time Tuesday (vintage)  and   Tweak it Tuesday and  Coastal Charm Tuesday  and What we Accomplished Wednesday and Whatever Goes Wednesday and  Adorned From Above  and Rurality Blog Hop and  All Things With Purpose and Home & Garden Thursday and It's a Party at Creative Princess and Artsy Corner Thursday and Good Fences and  Time Travel Thursday and Thrifty Things Friday  and  Weekend Reflections and  Freedom Fridays and From the Farm and   Anything Blue Friday and Junkin' Joe and  Serenity Saturday and Vintage Inspiration Friday and Photo Friday and The Charm of Home and  Share Your Creativity and A Favorite Thing Saturday and Weekly Top Shot and Shadow Shot Sunday and  Sunny Simple Sunday and Sunlit Sunday

32 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, that is a beauty for sure, love your old desk, Blessings Francine.

Terri @ A Creative Princess said...

Your desk is beautiful! I love it!

Paulette said...

What kind of words were written from that desktop, perhaps a letter professing love, a letter to a loved one with family news to share or just school work? It is a beautiful piece.

Unknown said...

It's a gorgeous desk! I love old .. excuse me.. antique furniture like that!!

Diane said...

Lovely color on your desk-- just gorgeous!

MadSnapper said...

i spent the first 8 years of school in a desk like the second photo. and your desk at the end is wonderful and one i would love to own...

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Very beautiful desk! How I love antiques!

xo

Sheila

Suzan said...

What an awesome desk!!
(so glad you're not painting it white and covering that beautiful wood!!)

Julie said...

I love antiques and your desk is beautiful. I also love the chair you have with it. Thanks for sharing.

Stephanie said...

Beautiful desk with lovely character :) Hugs to you!

Vee said...

I like your desk! It has a lot of fun old-time features that new desks just don't have. I have a youth desk, which worked very well for me when I was a slip of a thing. Now, not so much. My iPad used to make those inane corrections for me and finally I turned the option off in my settings. Now, all typos and misspellings are my own. I should not have confessed this...

Ruth Kelly said...

I remember having a desk with an inkwell hole in it when I was in grade school. My grandchildren, however, have just a desk top with legs and they rearrange them so no one sits behind you.

TexWisGirl said...

you made me laugh - that's not dusty! :)

love your desk. really sweet.

Sue said...

Your antique desk is so lovely, I simply love antiques for many reasons, their quality of materials, designs, and for the stories that could be told, if they could talk. ~smile~
Blessings,
Sue

Cathy said...

That is beautiful!

You made me laugh, talking about the dust. I need to dust so badly right now. I swear, you could write your name, erase it and write it again, because the dust is so deep on my furniture. haha

Terri D said...

Dust? What dust? I have a good eye, and it is trained to overlook dust, pet hair, and tracked in dirt. I don't see it at my house, and I don't see it in other people's homes!

Love the desk, and I know you do, too!

Heide at ApronHistory said...

It is beautiful! I love how the writing box pulls out.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a beautiful piece of furniture! It could inspire you to write...maybe poetry or beautiful letters! Enjoy your day my friend!

Deb said...

love that desk...a nice spot to work at..

podso said...

That is an unusual desk. I like it and see no dust. I can never decide if I should dust when the sun is streaming in and revealing or when it's not and I just let my dust cloth do it's thing.

Your desk looks like it could tell a few stories.

Debby Ray said...

Wow...what a great find! It is great size too...not too big. Don't you just love to find great little gems like this? Love the ink well!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Beautiful desk! And I don't see any dust. Now at my house, it would be dusty with some cat hair mixed in. lol!

Rachel said...

I love your desk!!! I bet it has a lot of history. :)

camp and cottage living said...

Love your Arts & Crafts looking desk!
Give me old with character any day over the new stuff.

Unknown said...

Beautiful old desk! I love it just the way it is! It's perfect!

Anita Johnson said...

I like that very much!

L. D. said...

All of your desks are wonderful. I have a school desk in the basement but did have it in my kid's room for years. I am always finding dust in my pictures. I hate that but I hate dusting more. Fun blog.

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a really interesting old desk. I've never seen one with the pull out drawer in it that has a flip top. It would be interesting to know the history of it. It's almost an Eastlake style.

Carla from The River said...

Beautiful desk. I love it. :-)

Unknown said...

Your desk is beaitiful and it has a charm about it too. I bet you enjoy sitting there and you even have a place for your coffee mug, i like it. Have a great day

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i love your desk - what amazing character. lovely!! ( :

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

It's an adorable desk. I love the doors on the bottom part, very beautiful. I wouldn't be able to take a picture of my desk. There are so many things on it, you can't even tell what colour it is!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails