Monday, March 22, 2010

Vintage Custard Cup



This little brown pottery custard cup is the first of only two things for which I ever asked my mom. The other is a picture that hangs in our bathroom (later post).

The sweet little custard cup had been in our kitchen for as long as I can remember. At the top it is about 3 3/8 inches in diameter, and is a solid creme color on the inside. I think what I loved about it as a kid is that the glaze is amazingly smooth.
It was also so sturdy and plain.

When I was a kid, my mom often gave us treat cups. 'Treats' usually consisted of walnuts, chocolate chips, and raisins. Sometimes they were in this custard cup, and sometimes they were in egg cups or even in stainless steel egg poaching cups! I still like treat cups, unsurprisingly. But today's treats are usually contained by laundry soap bottle lids or measuring cups.


Now, unless I have it sitting out full of almonds or craisins, my favorite little custard cup lives in the hutch next to my grandma's cookie jar.


Do you have a favorite piece of pottery or glassware that came from someone special?

***


'Vanilla Bean & Cocoa' 

Natural, homemade vegan soap
Large 4.5+ oz. bars

...and more! Check out all our homemade soaps at


and at



***

This post is linked to

 


2 comments:

Deborah said...

I think your treat bowl is very pretty. I like the design. :) I have 2 favorites pieces. One is a small brown pottery teapot that belonged to my great-grandma Kate Forehand. (some day I will post about it with a photo.) It was big enough for her to brew one cup of tea in it. The bottom says occupied Japan on it. I love it because she had a routine in the afternoon of relaxing with her cup of tea made in this teapot. The other piece is a pair of pretty pink candlestick holders. I used them for Katie's wedding and also other special occasions. They both mean alot to me.

Cranberry Morning said...

I look forward to seeing the candlestick holders and teapot! I never dreamed I'd get so nostalgic in my old age. Suddenly I love these things from a bygone era!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails